Physical activity is always good for toddlers. They should be encouraged to play. The good news is they can have fun and be safe at the same time.
Because now, you can get your toddlers tumbling mats they can play on and enjoy for hours.
When we hear the word tumbling, we think of gymnastics. But, mats are not only for aspiring gymnasts. These are known to help toddlers develop movement skills.
In addition, tumbling mats are great for discovery and socialization.
And yes, these can aesthetically fit right in your room if you’re concerned about that. Many come in vibrant colors and different designs.
No Time to Read? Check Out Our Top Picks Now!
|Top||Tumbl Trak Gymnastics Folding Tumbling Panel Mat, 4ft x 6ft x 2in, Blueberry||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|BalanceFrom 1 Inch Extra Thick Puzzle Exercise Mat with EVA Foam Interlocking Tiles for MMA, Exercise, Gymnastics and Home Gym Protective Flooring, 72 Square Feet (Black)||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|ProsourceFit Tri-Fold Folding Exercise Mat - Blue, ps-1952-tfm-blue||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|BalanceFrom 2" Thick Tri-Fold Folding Exercise Mat with Carrying Handles for MMA, Gymnastics and Home Gym Protective Flooring (Pink)||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|We Sell Mats 4 ft x 8 ft x 2 in Gymnastics Mat, Folding Tumbling Mat, Portable with Hook & Loop Fasteners, Multicolor||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|DAIRTRACK IBATMS Air Tumbling Mat,10ft/13ft/16ft/20ft Inflatable Gymnastics Air Mat for Gymnastics Training/Home Use/Cheerleading/Yoga/Water||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|Tumbl Trak Cheese Mat, Primary Rainbow, 24 x 48 x 14-Inch||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|IncStores Home Cheer Carpet Top Mats Roll Out Practice Pad (Black, 3'x6'x1 3/8")||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|We Sell Mats Gymnastics Octagon Skill Shape Tumbling Mat, Somersault Backbend Trainer for Gymnastics, Cheerleading and Martial Arts, (Small) 20 in x 20 in x 24 in||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|Regalo Sensory & Learning My Play Mat, Foldable & Reversable, Waterproof, Bonus Kit, Includes Travel Case with Carry Strap, Grey, Extra Large||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|Memory Foam Soft Cushioned Patchwork Baby and Toddler Activity Play Mat||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
|Tiny Love Meadow Days Super Play Mat||PrimeEligible||Check Amazon Price|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
First, let me answer a few questions you might be thinking about the best tumbling mats for toddlers!
Is Tumbling Good for Toddlers?
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, toddlers should engage in 180 minutes of activity each day. Your kids can spend a portion of this time on a play mat.
Tumbling is one of the activities like swimming suggested for preschoolers to develop their gross motor skills. Direct supervision and even coaching are required, though.
Of course, check with your children’s pediatrician if tumbling is okay.
At What Age Can a Child Start Tumbling?
As soon as toddlers can walk, they are ready for more physical activities. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests that tots from 18 months old should be encouraged to tumble, balance, and run more to develop their arm and leg muscles.
Also, USA Gymnastics offers classes for beginner gymnast toddlers and their parents. The organization accepts tots as young as 20 months. As I stated above, a doctor can advise you better if your toddlers can start tumbling.
How Thick Should a Tumbling Mat Be?
Tumbling mats for toddlers are between ½ and 2 inches thick. Anything less than a half-inch, like a paper-thin yoga mat, may not be suitable for tots.
For tumbling, I prefer products that are at least an inch thick.
Most people’s first instinct is to get the thickest tumbling mat or gymnastics mat out there. But this can create problems for toddlers. Thick mats are for landings and other high-impact activities.
The extra padding of a landing mat can also be counterproductive. Sure, it lessens the chance of injury when a toddler falls. But, for babies learning to walk, their feet will sink on foam. Not desirable in this situation.
Also, are you using it on hard or wooden floors? Carpeting adds some cushion. So, if you’re buying a mat, this is a factor.
How Many Feet Wide Should Tumbling Mats Be?
There are full mats that can cover a room’s floor. These are great as toddlers like to move freely.
Conversely, many mats are only a few feet wide. This is excellent for older kids who like to cartwheel and tumble.
You also have the option to build a playmat that will fit in any room. Modular tiles, often 2 x 2 feet and about an inch thick, give you this flexibility.
Like giant jigsaw puzzles, this type of puzzle mat comes in different colors and patterns.
How to Clean Tumbling Mats?
Your tumbling mat will come with cleaning instructions. For more details, check the manufacturer’s website. But here are some essential cleaning tips.
Thoroughly clean before your first use. Just my two cents, as we aren’t sure how these products were stored and handled.
Products made with vinyl and foam are not waterproof. Thus, these should not be soaked in water.
Instead, wipe these with a cloth with soap and water. Never use abrasive sponges or materials.
It’s a bit harder with interlocking mats. First, you need to detach and clean each tile. You can wipe most of these with a rag damp with soap and water.
Don’t forget the areas where each tile interlock with others.
More importantly, keep these flat so that you won’t deform these.
Clean the underside of your tumbling mat. Also, remember to mop the floor beneath if this is permanently fixed in one place.
You can use a vacuum on several mats. Don’t forget the carpeting under and around too.
Spray with disinfectant. Make sure you’re using a non-toxic brand. Bleach or rubbing alcohol mixed with water will work. Clorox and Lysol are also great options.
What Else to Look for in a Tumbling Mat?
Aside from the features mentioned above, check a mat’s core material. For example, a product can be thick but made of regular foam or vinyl.
Look for Polyethylene (PE) or Polyurethane (PU) foam in the description. These are the best ones now. Please note the latter is better at absorbing falls.
The material used for a mat should always be non-toxic. This includes the vinyl your kids will come into contact with.
Tearing is also a consideration. Cheap products are often not durable.
While you can’t physically inspect mats before buying, read reviews of these products.
Watch videos too of these in use. You’ll get a better idea before you buy.
Best Tumbling Mats for Toddlers- Our Recommendations
There are tons of tumbling mats out there. Below is a list of my recommendations. Don’t be surprised if several of these can be used by adults too.
#1: BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat
- With double sided high Density EVA foam non-slip surfaces, the 1 thick premium mat comfortably cushions spine, hips, Knees and elbows on hard floors
- Each tile dimensions – 24” W x 24” L | Thickness – 1” | Tiles quantity – 18 | End borders quantity – 36 | Coverage area – 72 Square Feet
- Exceptional resilience allow you to keep your balance during any exercise style | Moisture resistant Technology makes the mat to be easily washed with soap and water
- All genuine Balance From products are covered by a 100% Balance From satisfaction guarantee and 2-year Balance From Warranty | Customer satisfaction is our highest priority
If you’re after improving foot-grip strength, this non-slip mat may be the right product for your child’s needs. These tiles provide an excellent surface for babies learning to walk.
Also, each is made with high-density foam, giving your toddler the needed cushion while playing.
Each set allows you to cover 72 square feet of space. Also, there are blue or grey versions if you’re not a fan of black.
Be sure to order mats with the same thickness if you plan to mix and match.
#2: ProsourceFit Tri-Fold Folding Thick Exercise Mat 6’x2.’
- EASY TO CARRY - Tri-fold design is compact for storage, and two carrying handles makes fitness on-the-go convenient
- THICK CUSHION - Provides a cushioned, supportive surface for workouts, stretch-ing, martial Arts, or outdoor fitness routines
- JOINT PROTECTION - Resilient foam interior keeps its shape for long-term usability, and protects knees, wrists, elbows & back
- DURABLE - Vinyl surface resists tearing or stretching and is easy to wipe clean; great for stretching & floor exercises. Waterproof
- 3 COLOR OPTIONS - Comes in blue, grey, and black. Dimensions: 72 Lx 24W x 1 1/2T
- Care- Use light soap or water. Wipe the mat with a clean wet sponge or rag. Use soft dry cloth to remove any leftover residue. Air dry.
This is a product for toddlers and anybody older. It has a tri-fold design and comes in five colors. This mat is fitted with carrying handles which makes it easy to carry and store.
Also, there’s enough cushion for tumbling. This mat provides the protection needed for your kids.
If you’re going to buy this, I suggested you use this in carpeted rooms. On smooth floors, it may move or slide. Placing a liner under may be wise to prevent this from happening.
#3: BalanceFrom 2″ Thick Tri-Fold Folding Exercise Mat
- 6 feet long, 2 feet wide (72-inch x 24-inch) at 2-inch thick, firm high density EPE foam is ideal for activities and exercises such as yoga, aerobics, Pilates, MMA and martial arts
- The surface is made of non-toxic lead-free durable 18 ounce puncture resistant and non-absorbent vinyl. Moisture resistant technology makes the mat to be easily washed with soap and water
- Exceptional resilience allow you to keep your balance during any exercise style. Caring handles and light weight make it easy to take the mat around
- A foldable, 3 panel design and handles on each mat make it easy to store and transport your mat. Expanded dimension: 6 x 2 x 2; folded dimensions: 24 x 24 x 6
- All genuine BalanceFrom products are covered by a 100% BalanceFrom satisfaction guarantee and 2-year BalanceFrom Warranty. Customer satisfaction is our highest priority
A half-inch thicker mat than the one above, this product is also excellent for kids. You can fold it for easy storage and transport.
It’s safe enough for three-year-olds to do flips and rolls. Made of non-toxic and non-absorbent material, this mat is firm enough.
This is a product for the whole family. Everyone can roll, tumble and exercise on this quality mat that can take the weight of adults.
If you have hard floors, this might be right for your kids.
#4: We Sell Mats Folding Tumbling Mat
- GYMNASTICS MAT FOR JOINT PROTECTION: Home gymnastics floor mat comes in 1. 5”-2” thickness for a cushioned, supportive surface that protects knees, wrists, elbows and backs for home workouts, tumbling and other fitness routines.
- EASY TO CARRY AND STORE: Foldable design makes it portable and compact for storage, with hook and loop fasteners and lightweight foam for convenient on-the-go-fitness for personal trainers, athletes, exercising outdoors our indoor workouts.
- VERSATILE USAGE: For many lifestyle and activity needs, our Gym Tumbling Mats provide safe cushioning for light fitness exercises, yoga, Pilates, playroom flooring, stretching, wrestling, cheer, martial arts & MMA, and indoor rock climbing.
- PERFECT FOR KIDS & YOUNG GYMNASTS: Durable and cushioned pads provide safety and reassurance for your young gymnast as they practice tumbling, cartwheels and back handsprings.
- EASY CLEAN-UP: Unfold over any hardwood floor or flat indoor surface for extra padding needed when exercising. Vinyl surface resists tearing and is easy to wipe clean with a simple soap and water solution.
A family-owned business, We Sell Mats (Yup, that’s the company’s name), is a gymnastics mat supplier of USA Gymnastics. They provide affordable quality goods, including foldable mats.
This gymnastics mat comes in different colors that are either 1.5 or 2 inches thick. It’s excellent for tumbling, but parents should supervise their tots if they opt for the narrower version.
I like the four-colored version. Toddlers find bright colors appealing.
But, there are one-color options if rainbow colors are not your type.
Ultimately, your choice might depend on what your kids prefer.
#5: DAIRTRACK IBATMS Air Tumbling Mat
- 【WIDE APPLICATION】You can place the inflatable tumbling mat, tumble track mat,inflatable gymnastics mat,gymnastics air mat on the artistic gymnastics floor,the gym floor, in high-performance training, fitness clubs,dance clubs, schools,gymnastic exercises,home entertainment, leisure centers, gymnasium,professional training, park or rental business. Also, Our Tumbling Air Mat could be used on beach or water,backyard, grass land .Just make sure there is no fire around or sharp things
- 【DURABLE MATERIAL】 Our Tumble Track for Gymnastics is made of Double-Wall Material (also know as drop stitch material), and 0.9mm thickness durable commercial grade PVC tarpaulin. Better air tightness and durability since reinforcement are made for all seams.
- 【EASY TO HANDLE】The gymnastics air mat can be fold and unfold quickly, Optimum air pressure in all conditions, up to 5psi.Compared with the traditional foam-based mats, they take up much less space after deflating so the storage and transportation become pretty simple and economic. THE ELECTRIC ARE PUMP MAKE INFLATE EASIER.
- 【COMPLETE ACCESSORIES】 You will receive an Electric air pump for free when you purchase our Air Mat Only take 1 minutes to inflate or deflate. No noise during training. After inflation, the Air tumbling will maintain its pressure for days. With the durable carry bag, it will be easy to move around the gym or take to anywhere.
- 【MORE SAFETY】Compared with other exercising equipment, the air ramp increases the repetitive frequency and reduces the chance of being hurt.We are responsible for our products. If you have any problems, please feel free to contact us firstly.
You might think this is too much for toddlers. An inflatable mat for kids and adults alike, you can use it indoors or outdoors. You might worry about keeping this mat free from sharp objects.
But, there are advantages.
The shortest is almost 10 feet long and 3 feet wide. Of course, you need a lot of space inside your home. But, you’ll discover that making space is worthwhile.
The air pressure can also be adjusted to achieve just the right bounce!
Kids will love jumping on it. The mat is durable enough that it can withstand hours of play. And, in case you’re wondering, it’s easy to clean.
#6: Tumbl Trak Cheese Mat
- HIGH QUALITY - Each mat is covered in an extremely durable 18oz knife coated vinyl material. The vinyl is stretched tightly over an industry-leading EVA foam (the highest quality cross-linked polyethylene foam on the market)
- EASY TO TRANSPORT FROM STATION TO STATION - WIth heavy-duty carrying handles and a Velcro Flap that ensures the incline fastens shut when folded closed moving it around the gym or home is easy
- SMART DESIGN - Each incline can be folded into a block that can be used for bridges, working ars and core strength, or jumps onto and off
- DON’T BE FOOLED BY CHEAPER COMPETITORS - Tumbl Trak has been in making the highest quality gymnastics products for 30 years. Don’t let a cheaper price lure you in, Tumbl Trak offers unrivaled quality and will withstand even the most rigorous use
- WE KNOW GYMNASTICS - When you purchase a product from Tumbl Trak, you know that you’re getting a TRUE gymnastics product. Coaches, former gymnasts, and industry experts make up the our staff ensuring you get the best product for your athlete.
If you want your toddler to practice tumbling, this is the product to buy. Gymnasts continue practicing on this cheese wedge mat. There are many sizes to choose from.
The smallest is suitable for children below 40 inches high. They come in different colors that appeal to kids. The lightest is only 17 pounds. It folds for easy storage.
You might be wondering how children can have fun with this. It’s not that high or steep, so kids can climb, tumble and roll safely. There are many other ways this incline mat can help toddlers develop their motor skills.
#7: IncStores Home Roll-Out Mat
- Durable carpet top over cross-link polyethylene foam.
- Perfect for cheer mats, gymnastics mats, and more.
- Two mats can be attached with velcro for a larger surface area.
- Comes with a one year warranty.
- Easy to transport and store.
According to the manufacturer, this is toddler-safe. You can get the 3 x 6 feet version which is 1.38 inches thick if space is a concern. For added protection, you can opt for the 2-inch model.
These mats come in 8 different colors.
I would recommend this for older toddlers. Because it’s a rollout, storage and transport aren’t problems.
Also, you don’t have to worry if your kids love jumping because it doesn’t slide on floors.
If you get this, don’t forget to ask for the Velcro strips. You can connect a second mat with these.
#8: WeSell Octagon Tumbling Mat
- OCTAGONAL DESIGN FOR HOME GYMNASTICS TRAINING: Octagon wedge skill shape mat comes in small (20” tall X 24” wide), medium (24” X 26”) and large (30” X 32”) for a cushioned, supportive surface while practicing gymnastics and other fitness routines.
- IDEAL FOR YOUNG GYMNASTS AND BEGINNER TUMBLERS: Firm support and padding provides safety and reassurance for any beginner level or young gymnast learning basic tumbling skills such as cartwheels, back handsprings, back tucks, and walkovers.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Anti-tear vinyl surface resists ripping from frequent use. Octagon block is highly durable thanks to commercial grade materials and assembly.
- VERSATILE USAGE: Our Tumbling Octagon Mat allows athletes of different levels to use this mat for training or competitive practicing purposes. It can be used for tumbling, gymnastics, yoga, material arts, therapy programs and more.
- EASY TO CARRY & CLEAN-UP: This lightweight gymnastics mat has two carrying handles, making it the perfect transportable equipment to set up on any floor. The vinyl surface resists tearing and is easy clean with a simple soap and water soluti
This isn’t a mat in the true sense of the word. It’s more of an accessory that can help three-year-old kids and older learn tumbling.
The small version is 20 inches tall. It may only weigh 11 pounds, but this product is made of durable foam and tear-resistant vinyl.
This gymnastics mat also supports beginners learning to cartwheel and do back handsprings. The edges aren’t sharp, and the padding is firm enough.
It’s another perfect companion for your floor mat.
As of now, there isn’t one for kids younger than three years old.
#9: Tiny Love Meadow Days Super Play Mat
- EXTRA ROOM FOR FUN: The extra large play mat features a developmental playground of fun activities and discovery for baby, all built onto comfy plush padding to keep baby and parent comfortable
- Fun at home or on the go: folds easily into a compact size that makes it perfect for taking along to the beach, the park or anywhere
- Playful textures: features fun and engaging textures for tactile and motor skill development. Shiny satin ribbons
- Promote facial recognition: soft padded mirror on play mat promotes facial recognition and continuous engagement
- Cute carrot teether: baby will love using the teether to soothe themselves during playtime; machine washable mat
How about starting them early? This gymnastics mat is an excellent choice for babies. It’s five by 3.2 feet and 0.79 inches thick.
Easy to fold and carry, you can spread this gymnastic mat indoors or outdoors!
There’s enough padding for babies to play and crawl. They may not tumble yet, but there’s enough room for them to roll.
This colorful product meets ATSM standards and comes with an attached mirror that helps with facial recognition.
#10: Regalo Sensory & Learning My Play Mat
- Extra Large: perfect for large or small spaces this mat can be adjusted to covers spaces up to 70-inches wide and 71-inches long. Made of highly durable and soft foam for the safety of your little one
- SENSORY AND LEARNING: Design includes raised symbols including letters as well as numbers for learning. Reversible, perfect for learning or style.
- PORTABLE: Includes convenient travel case with carry strap. Folds down to a compact size of easy storage
- INDOOR AND OUTDOOR: Waterproof for quick clean. Also, can be used on the go both indoor and outdoor while at the park or just at home
- SAFE: Tested and approved by the American Society of Testing materials. Non-toxic and soft for those hard surfaces. Perfect for use with the Regalo 192-inch play yard or Regalo My play folding play yard
Buy this if you want your baby to start crawling, rolling, and do more fun stuff. It’s 70 x 71 inches and a half-inch thick.
Foldable in seconds, it’s lightweight so that you can bring it with you anywhere.
Have you been planning that picnic at the park with your child? You can use this mat indoors or outdoors.
If you want to get an early start on your baby’s education, this mat has the alphabet and numbers printed on one side. It’s reversible, easy to clean, and comes with a case for transport.
#11: Memory Foam Soft Cushioned Patchwork Baby and Toddler Activity Play Mat
- ✔️ Patchwork play mat designed for use at daycare, preschool, childcare centers or at home
- ✔️ Mat Measures: 58 W x 58 D
- ✔️ Your child will have a blast playing, rolling around, and resting on this colorful play mat
- ✔️ THICK, WATERPROOF AND WASHABLE – No need to constantly worry about food and drink ruining your baby mat. Simply wipe with a damp cloth to clean up those inevitable spillages.
This tumbling mat is perfect for babies and older kids. At two inches thick, tots can crawl and play on a great quality product that has enough space. It’s 58 by 58 inches, so it has room for more kids to play in.
Also, it’s non-slip, so it’s safe for toddlers learning to walk.
Like many mats, tots love to sleep on this. Perfect when they need to take a nap after playtime. It’s durable and can last years.
Lastly, it’s waterproof and easy to clean.
#12: Tumbl Trak Gymnastics Folding Tumbling Mat
- HIGH QUALITY - Each mat is covered in an extremely durable 18oz knife coated vinyl material. The vinyl is stretched tightly over an industry leading EVA foam (the highest quality cross-linked polyethylene foam on the market).
- PERFECT FOR MULTIPLE ACTIVITIES. If you’re a gymnast, dancer, cheerleader, martial artist, fitness enthusiast, or anybody other activity that has a need for a durable matting option; look no further than Tumbl Trak!
- DON’T BE FOOLED BY CHEAPER COMPETITORS - Tumbl Trak has been in making the highest quality gymnastics products for 30 years. Don’t let a cheaper price lure you in, Tumbl Trak offers unrivaled quality and will withstand even the most rigorous use.
- SUPERIOR DESIGN - Each of our Folding Panel Mats are foldable into 2ft panels. Use the mat unfolded for tumbling, exercising and more. Fold up the mat and use it as an elevation advantage for plyometrics. You can also attach them end to end.
- WE KNOW MATTING - When you purchase Folding Panel Mats from Tumbl Trak, you know that you’re getting a TRUE training product. Coaches, former athletes, and industry experts make up the Tumbl Trak Staff.
- All of our mats are tested and pass CPSIA of 2008 and come with a 2 year warranty.
Before you click the link, this is unavailable right now. But, I had to add it because of many positive reviews of this product. It’s light and foldable. Each gymnastics mat is made of quality vinyl and PE foam.
Also, there are various sizes to choose from. The smallest is 4 x 6 feet, which is perfect for small rooms!
Wrapping it Up
Each of the mats above serves specific needs. However, your top concern should always be your child’s safety. A product may be expensive.
But if it provides the best protection while your toddler is playing, then it is a worthwhile investment.
Happy tumbling! Or rather, safe landings, I guess.
Until next time, readers!