Cancer. This word brings so many emotions when it is used in the same sentence as the name of someone you love and hold dear. It isn’t a stranger to me by no means, as it has taken the lives of several family members and friends and we have known it to be beat by many as well. It is during these times, when cancer is mentioned, that we all desire some positive thinking, so why not use Bible verses for families affected by cancer? We use Bible verses for all parts of our lives, all the more reason to use them now.
We just heard this word in the same sentences as my dad. I won’t lie, my earth felt like it was falling out from underneath me and the 400 miles that separates us feels like thousands. Add that with the words ‘inoperable’ or ‘incurable‘ and things start to spin in your mind and fear grips your heart and our mind races at such a high speed.
It was in this time of overwhelmed concern that a friend stated, “Cancer isn’t a death sentence.” It was the thing that made me look at my faith and stand on the scriptures that I know to be true and need as my encouragement.
31 Bible Verses for Families Affected by Cancer
It was during my dad’s second battle with cancer that things hit me like a ton of bricks. I was overcome with grief like something that I took over my every thought. It was during that time that I knew that I needed to refocus on keeping my mind on things that would build my faith and keep my positive for my parent’s sake. So, I created the 31 Days of Journaling Through Cancer for myself, and my family, as well as families touched by cancer.
I chose 31 verses, so I could focus on one a day, each month. (Although I prefer the KJV, I added these in the NIV version)
- Matthew 10:30-31 – And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
- Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Proverbs 17:22 – A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
- Psalms 62:6-8 – Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.
- Exodus 14:14 – The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.
- Proverbs 18:21 – The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 …Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Psalms 55:22 – Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
- I Peter 5:7 – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
- Isaiah 58:8-9 – Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.
- Malachi 4:2 – But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its rays. And you will go out and frolic like well-fed calves.
- Psalms 138:3 – On the day I called, you answered me; my strength of soul you increased.
- Romans 15:4 – For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.
- Psalms 103:2-4 – Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits— who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion
- Romans 8:28 – And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- Matthew 11:28-29 – Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
- Psalms 33:20-22 – Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you.
- Psalms 34:9 – Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing.
- Psalms 46:1-3 – God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
- Hebrews 11:1 – Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
- Matthew 17:20 – “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
- James 1:3 – because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
- James 5:13-14 – Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.
- Hebrews 11:6 – And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
- I Peter 1:21 – Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
- I Peter 4:19 – So then, those who suffer according to God’s will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good.
- Romans 10:17 – Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
- I Corinthians 2:4-5 – My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power.
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 – Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
- Philippians 4:8 – Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
I hope these verses build your faith, as they are building mine!