We have three boys, all at different ages – 18, 12 and about to turn 5. One thing that I have learned about boys is that they have certain things they they love to call their own. I find it amazing that these items tend to be things that men cherish and desire to own as well. Kinda proves that boys will be boys and that they should be allow to enjoy hours of outdoor time to work on the skills that men will desire.
10 Things Boys Love to Call Their Own
- Pocket Knife – This is the first of all knives for boys and once they have their first one, they will cherish it because it means they are trusted to be more like their daddy and that speaks volumes to their heart. If you family is like ours, the little boys will grow impatient for their first knife and you may want to appease them with their own toy pocket knife.
- Hunter Knife – When a boy becomes hunting age (12 in our state), they will want to have their own hunting knife and they should.
- BB Gun – A BB gun is much like a pocket knife to boys. It is the one that is first entrusted to them. Learning target practice will be a great skill for the hunting years.
- Sling Shot – My sons have always become interested in the sling shot once they learn the story of David and Goliath. They use rocks and marbles to hit targets. This is always the first step before guns for our boys.
- Bow and Arrows – If your sons have every read or watched Robin Hood, a bow and arrow is quick on their wish list. Targets attached to hay bundles work for a great target practice or you can buy one, as does cardboard boxes when first learning. My almost 5 year old has a great eye and is getting really close to the bull eyes. Of course, he is supervised and loves it!
- Ax – Thanks to the love of Daniel Boone and Davy Crocket, the love of an ax grows quickly for a little boy. We have a rule that when they work to cut down a tree, it must be with supervision and ones that they can hold their hands together while wrapping it around the tree. As their hands grow, so do the options of trees.
- Hammer – Daddy is their hero and once they see him swinging his hammer, they are hooked! Hammers are a must for all boys, regardless of the age!
- Whittle Set – Creating their own wooden project is something that every boy with a pocket knife things about because they get tired of whittling the ends of sticks. These are a great hobby for them to learn for those longer days of winter.
- Airsoft Gun – If you boys are attached to video games, I would recommend some airsoft gear and an open place for boys to be their own game. My oldest son still enjoys this activity even after 5 years. He may never grow out of it.
- Binoculars – Once they get into the hunting ages, boys will want to have their own set of binoculars. However, ours have loved doing nature studies and watching for birds.
These have been some of the best things we have done for our boys! Well that and a lot of free afternoons to work on these skills.
If you like this post, you may also enjoy 10 Things that Boys Should Do When They Are Young…